Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Author Interview with Kate Kae Myers


Hi everyone, so this is the last author I’m featuring at Fragments of Life for Dystopian Domination 2, Part 2 – Apocalypsies and Debut Authors. I’m featuring Kate Kae Myers and her debut, The Vanishing Game.


What or who inspired you to write The Vanishing Game?
       
I was actually working on another writing project when the main character, Jocelyn, and the events in the first chapter kept coming into my head during the early morning hours. She had such a strong voice, even from the beginning, that I finally had to write down the first chapter as I felt afraid I’d lose it if I didn’t. Later, on the brink of giving up my dream of getting published, I took one more chance and wrote her story.

What kind of world did you portray in The Vanishing Game?

The main part of the book takes place in Watertown, a small city in upstate New York. More than the setting, though, I think it’s the actual mood of the book which creates Jocelyn’s world. The feeling is one of intrigue and constantly being a bit off-balance; and, of course, the instability of her childhood has deep roots in her current life. The more the mystery of Jocelyn’s past is unraveled, the more uncertain her purpose grows.

Can you tell us about your main character?

Jocelyn is smart, self-deprecating, a bit jaded and yet vulnerable. She’s a beautiful girl who fails to see that about herself; instead, she’s permanently imprinted by the awkward and unloved child she once was. She hides her insecurities with a dark sense of humor. The one thing I most love about Jocelyn? In spite of everything, she never surrenders hope.

What are the themes tackled in your novel?

Sorry, no themes in my writing. I have nothing to preach to anyone. I write for myself—for the sheer joy of living the story through my main character’s eyes. If my own personal values happen to shine through during the growth of my characters, then that’s a plus.

What is the best thing that a reviewer said about your novel?

So far I’ve gotten some really encouraging reviews, which is definitely uplifting for a new author. Best comment? One reviewer called my writing “Brilliant!” which is not what I expected, since this isn’t a literary book. Not that I’m complaining.

Did you ever base any of your characters on real people?

I don’t base my characters on people I know because it would be limiting. However, certain subliminal influences from my past do seem to occasionally surface. That’s probably unavoidable for most authors.

Can you give us one line from your novel that you find important, striking or unforgettable?

“That’s the problem with trying to fit into normal society, isn’t it?  After you’ve walked a crazy tight-wire like the one we were on, the rest of the world with its safety net seems so unexciting.” 


Seventeen-year-old Jocelyn follows clues apparently from her dead twin, Jack, in and around Seale House, the terrifying foster home where they once lived. With help from childhood friend Noah she begins to uncover the truth about Jack's death and the company that employed him and Noah.

Jocelyn's twin brother Jack was the only family she had growing up in a world of foster homes-and now he's dead, and she has nothing. Then she gets a cryptic letter from "Jason December"-the code name her brother used to use when they were children at Seale House, a terrifying foster home that they believed had dark powers. Only one other person knows about Jason December: Noah, Jocelyn's childhood crush and their only real friend among the troubled children at Seale House.

But when Jocelyn returns to Seale House and the city where she last saw Noah, she gets more than she bargained for. Turns out the house's powers weren't just a figment of a childish imagination. And someone is following Jocelyn. Is Jack still alive? And if he is, what kind of trouble is he in? The answer is revealed in a shocking twist that turns this story on its head and will send readers straight back to page 1 to read the book in a whole new light.

Here’s a little something for you!

How good are you at puzzles? Try to solve Jack's clues yourself while you follow Jocelyn as she deciphers each clue. Download and print Jack's clues at
http://www.KateKaeMyers.com

About Kate:

There are hoards of people who "want to be a writer". I'm not one of them. Instead, I just want to write. To me, there is a difference between craving the attention and kudos of "being a writer" as opposed to the rush of climbing inside a character's skin, living their experiences, and watching their story-world build itself. Seeing words come together on a page in a hundred fascinating ways is immensely rewarding. 

I am fortunate to be represented by Jessica Regel of JVNLA, and my first YA novel, The Vanishing Game, is a 2012 debut with BloomsburyUSA.


Connect with Kate: Facebook | Goodreads | Site

Come back soon for the Apocalypsies Prize Pack Giveaway! :)



2 comments:

  1. I only read raving reviews about this book so I can't wait to read it. And I read the first chapter sample on Kate's website and it really sounds amazing!
    Thank you for the interview, it was great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your forgot to ask her the most important question- when's her next book coming out? :)

    I really enjoyed The Vanishing Game and can't wait to read more of Myer's books.

    ReplyDelete