Saturday, September 25, 2010

Review: Trance by Linda Gerber

Book Description via Goodreads:

It begins with a subtle vibration, a tingling.
There is time to take only one breath.
The trance begins.
When it is through, Ashlyn is certain of two things:
Someone she knows is about to die.
And she is powerless to stop it.

Publication date: October 14, 2010

Source: Linda Gerber (Thank you!)

My Thoughts:

Trance is more than just a story about an ability that is both a gift and a curse. It is the story of a not-so-normal teen and how her ability brought a heavy burden on her shoulders, made her regret the past, and affected her family life.

Ashlyn was guilty because of the past. Her family was no longer how it used to be. Seeing the death of several people caused emotional baggage on Ashlyn and her sister. The feel of the story was mostly guilty, problematic and stressed. Through Jake and Gina, there were chances for temporary escape from the burden. Although there were glimpses into the lives of the other characters, I wanted more.

Gerber incorporated numerology with the trances. Though I am not a big fan of this, I appreciated this effort. It made sense for me, since the premonitions are connected to divination. It also suggested that trances have always existed; that it was just no longer understood because humans have lost the knowledge as the years passed and the world became more modernized.

I finished Trance in a day. The writing is incredible, smooth and captured every ounce of suspense, panic, worry and guilt. I loved the fast pace. It reflected the tense moments of Ashlyn’s life, the part where she was racing against time and striving to understand the pieces of the story brought by the trances before someone dies.

Trance is a thrilling paranormal read. Every page is gripping. I just wished there was more.

Rating:

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds really good. This is the first review I read about this book and I am adding it to my tbrlist. I do adore a great paranormal book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I have given you the Versatile Blogger Award at: http://kateevangelistarandr.blogspot.com/2010/09/versatile-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not heard of this book. Thanks for reviewing it. :)

    I'm a new follower and new to the book blogging world. Another :)

    Love it so far!

    Mad Scientist

    check me out @

    madsteampunkery.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete