Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Review: Tyger, Tyger by Kersten Hamilton


Book Description via Goodreads:

Teagan Wylltson's best friend, Abby, dreams that horrifying creatures--goblins, shape-shifters, and beings of unearthly beauty but terrible cruelty--are hunting Teagan. Abby is always coming up with crazy stuff, though, so Teagan isn't worried. Her life isn't in danger. In fact, it's perfect. She's on track for a college scholarship. She has a great job. She's focused on school, work, and her future. No boys, no heartaches, no problems.

Until Finn Mac Cumhaill arrives. Finn's a bit on the unearthly beautiful side himself. He has a killer accent and a knee-weakening smile. And either he's crazy or he's been haunting Abby's dreams, because he's talking about goblins, too . . . and about being The Mac Cumhaill, born to fight all goblin-kind. Finn knows a thing or two about fighting. Which is a very good thing, because this time, Abby's right. The goblins are coming.

Source: Kersten Hamilton (Thank you!)

My Thoughts:

Teagan was the kind of girl who was focused on her studies and on her future. No boys were involved with her because she did not want distractions. But when her cousin, Finn Mac Cumhaill, labeled as ‘Brad Pitt’ by Abby. Teagan’s perfect world turned topsy turvy. Strange things started to happen and soon Teagan found herself believing in cat-sidhe and goblins and doing the least she expected – depending on Finn.

I loved how Teagan was really connected with her family. Teagan’s family members shared a sweet and close relationship with each other. Her baby brother can sing high tunes, her dad has a knack for storytelling and her mother can write and paint vivid scenes with creatures that almost look real. Later, I got to read about the beauty of Magmell and I found out that Tea’s mom had not painted fictional places but real ones which were found in Magmell.

The dark mythology explored in this novel was something I have never read about before. I loved how Hamilton chose to take something so archaic and put it on spotlight. The fine details of creatures of Celtic mythology such as cat-sidhe and goblins were startlingly fascinating but the made me shudder. I remember this scene where I even imagined what the voice of the cat-sidhe was like. It was too scary. But the novel was not just filled with scary stuff, it was also filled with surprises and shocking twists and turns.

The race to save Tea’s father in Magmell from the ruler of the goblins reminded me of Lord of the Rings: the battle of the good versus evil. It gave me a rush. The relationship of hunted and hunter in the beginning of Tyger, Tyger did not remain the same. Mamieo and Finn, together with the other characters kicked goblin butt and helped Tea and her little brother get in Magmell. In their journey to save her dad, little by little, they get to know more about themselves – more than they could ever discover when they were in their world. Secrets were unlocked and promises twisted reality with magic.

Tyger, Tyger is a creepy version of Alice in Wonderland. Hamilton put together bits and pieces to come up with this astonishing, breath-stopping, and suspenseful read. I recommend this to fans of Celtic mythology and Fey (dark Fey perhaps).

Rating:






4 comments:

  1. Great review. I really enjoyed reading this as well so I'm glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tyger, Tyger sounds like my type of book. I am a huge fan of Fey (dark or otherwise) and Alice in Wonderland! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds so good!! I don't think I've read any YA book involving goblins... well, unless you count Harry Potter. But I'm definitely interested in this! Plus it fills my quota for new fey books :D Can't wait to get my hands on a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the wonderful review, Precious! I'm so glad you liked Tyger Tyger. I *love* writing about the Wylltson family.

    ;) Kersten

    ReplyDelete