Friday, July 15, 2011

Review: The Chosen by Sheenah Freitas


Book Description via Goodreads:

Ebook, 232 pages
November 28, 2010, Lulu.com

Kaia's entire life has erupted in flames after an assassin appears and burns her village down. She's rescued by a god from another planet who requests her help because she's the descendant of their last savior. Together with Reeze -- the only other survivor from her village and her appointed guardian -- they set off on a quest to find the treasures of the gods in hopes of preventing a dire prophesy. Kaia and Reeze quickly meet the Tueors, a group of people many thought extinct, who are searching specifically for Kaia. Their intention: to protect the truth. As Kaia discovers more about the truth and her family's past, she also learns of the Tueors' bloody secret. Will Kaia be the savior the gods have been waiting for? Or will she let the prophesy come true?

Source: Sheenah Freitas & Teen Book Scene (Thank you!)


My Thoughts:

The Chosen is the first book of a trilogy. The beginning – a peaceful chapter shattered by a tragedy – was intense. The action that ensued was captivating. The violence level was just right for me. It was not too bloody and not too boring. Reeze, the mysterious boy and the only other survivor of the fire, was cold, emotionally careful and silent. He was Kaia’s guardian and he took his job very seriously. He reminded me a bit of Ash from The Iron Fey series.

I found Kaia simple, hesitant and observant. Shaken from the recent events in her life, the silence from her and the absence of complaints were new to me. I liked this side of her. I just wish that I could have read her thoughts. Kaia’s village was burnt down to the ground. She lost all her neighbors, friends and her mother. And yet, she seemed to be okay after all of that. I am used to intense emotional baggage from main characters so I was surprised when Kaia didn’t even mourn for her mother. It would have been better if there were more emotional manifestations from her. I’m eager to see how she develops as a character in the sequel.

The mythology was something that I really appreciated. It was a mix of everything. The three circles of the system of the gods was a fascinating concept. The inclusion of mortals to the circles and the twist that came with their presence were two of the things I liked most.

The writing was good. I was able to grasp the events in full detail but I sensed that it would have been better if there were commentaries from the characters. I like humor, sarcasm and musings peppered all over the novels that I read. I recommend this to fantasy readers.

Rating:




1 comment:

  1. I'm really eager to learn more about the mythology in this! With the three circles of gods and how mortals are incorporated. Sounds intriguing.

    The lack of emotional grief after what Kaia endured does seem a little odd, hopefully the sequel will offer more in that regard. Great review!

    ReplyDelete