Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Review: Earth Girl by Janet Edwards


Book Description from the back of the ARC:

ARC
August 16, 2012, Harper Voyager

Meet me, Jarra. Earth Girl.

It’s the year 2788, and the universe is divided into two different kinds of people: the Norms, who can portal between other planets, and people like me, the one in a thousand whoa reborn with an immune system which doesn’t allow us to leave planet Earth.

Norms come back to Earth for one reason: to study human history. But only if they don’t have to interact with us ‘Neanderthals’ along the way. Well, I’ve got a plan to change all that.

Call me whatever you like, I’m every bit as good as they are.

And I’m going to prove it to them.

Source: Harper Voyager (Thank you!!)

My Thoughts:

From page one, Jarra lured me into her story with her witty, funny and sometimes sarcastic voice. Through this, I found her relatable. She was a girl from earth, with advantages and disadvantages, but nevertheless she will do her best to reach her dreams. Her way of thinking and her determination were great feats.

As a Handicapped, she was sent to earth as soon as she was born. Her parents left her behind, choosing to continue their lives out of earth, Because of this, Jarra was bitter. She hated exos (rude word for Norms.) I enjoyed reading about the lives of the Handicapped. They were given a ProMum and a ProDad each with whom they can talk to for two hours a week. Although they lacked the ability to portal and they can't be with their biological parents, they were well cared and well provided for.

She had a special plan to somehow outwit them; she applied as a Foundation History student at an off-world university instead of doing what her friends did – applying for a slot in University Earth. Fortunately, she was accepted in University Asgard. Jarra had everything planned out, even her fake Military Kid identity. But her life would be even more complicated when one by one, her lies became truths.

The idea of future archaeology was backed up by such a rich and well-constructed history, down from the exodus – the migration of humans to other planets –, to the recent history of the off-world sectors. Every detail made Jarra’s world all the more believable. I wanted to move there.

Adventures and misadventures were lined up in Jarra’s life. I was addicted to the suspense, action and unpredictability of Earth Girl. Although it had a fairly calm environment unlike other dystopians, the risk and danger were high.

Romance wasn’t part of Jarra’s plan but Fian, a gentleman from the conservative Delta sector, crawled his way under her skin and into her mind and heart. Jarra knew that she could never be with a Norm so she kept him at arm’s length. However, working together in dig sites, with Jarra trusting Fian enough to put her life in his hands, was the last push that drove their relationship beyond friendship.  Blonde, slim and undeniably sweet and caring, Fian was irresistible. He was tempting especially since Fian looked like Jarra’s vid actor crush. This was one of the times when I was happy to have only two lovers instead of a love triangle.

Earth Girl is totally zan, impressive, unforgettable and unputdownable. Everything about it was perfect and well-thought out: history, technology, plot, language, vibrant characters, character development and interaction and culture! The writing was flawless and engaging and at the same time, fun and youthful. When I reached the end, I went back to my favorite parts and read them again. I highly recommend this to dystopian readers and science fiction readers! If you see this in a bookstore, grab a copy asap!

Rating:





3 comments:

  1. That cover! I love it. <3 But oh, the plot sounds somewhat complicated. Or maybe it's just me? I always tell myself that I'm not into sci-fi so whenever I come across one, I don't even stop to consider it. But whenever I read sci-fis, which is rare, I end up liking them anyways.
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Precious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Precious! How have you been? I haven't heard of this book before. This is definitely different. The cover is so eye-catching. I'm not as familiar with Harper Voyager. Harper Teen, yes...lol...I'll be adding it to my growing TBR list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds great! Beautiful cover too! Totally going on my TBR list! Thanks for the review! :D

    ReplyDelete