Friday, February 06, 2015

Review: Love, Lucy by April Lindner

Book Description:

Hardcover, 304 pages
January 27th 2015 by Poppy

While backpacking through Florence, Italy, during the summer before she heads off to college, Lucy Sommersworth finds herself falling in love with the culture, the architecture, the food...and Jesse Palladino, a handsome street musician. After a whirlwind romance, Lucy returns home, determined to move on from her "vacation flirtation." But just because summer is over doesn't mean Lucy and Jesse are over, too.

In this coming-of-age romance, April Lindner perfectly captures the highs and lows of a summer love that might just be meant to last beyond the season.

Reviewer's Copy: ARC

Source: Dianne + Pinoy Book Tours(Thank you!)

My Thoughts:

I was intrigued by Love, Lucy because it was set in Italy, one of the places I want to visit. I find the setting so romantic and genuine: the reader was transported to the picturesque landscape, breathing in the air of culture. I was not disappointed with Love, Lucy. It was as beautiful, and even more, as I expected it to be.

Lucy was an easy character to understand and adore. She was sweet and nice, considering the people around her and being cautious about her actions. But at the same time she was passionate about acting, about living in the moment and about love. Jesse was the American street musician. He was incredibly talented, expressive and intriguing. When Lucy fell in love with him, I had to admit that I fell in love with him, too. He wasn't the typical love interest. He was young, wild and free, living his life the way he wants to. He is not afraid to both think and be out-of-the-box. Jesse and Lucy's relationship could be likened to summer. It started with a spark and as the days passed, their connection to one another became brighter and hotter, until finally, it simmered down. 

What I liked about Love, Lucy was that it also highlighted Lucy's growth. From vacation flirtation, she went to university. I rarely get to read about college-based novels, so this was a welcome delight. Lucy went through what most freshman students go through. She was becoming more mature, making her own decisions, taking risks that are worth taking, and pushing through with what she really wants in life. 

Another thing that I liked about Love, Lucy was the theater. Lucy was an actress, so she had to go through auditions, rehearsals, the usual drama involved in theater. I really enjoyed reading about this, as it was one of my childhood dreams to act on stage. 

The writing was superfluous, as expected from April Lindner. She wrote in such a way that made me live in the moment, all senses included. To be honest, I was looking forward to a plot similar to Just One Day by Gayle Forman: girl meets boy during vacation and falls in love with him. It was the same in that aspect, but Love, Lucy was less intense - Lucy did not look for the one that got away. There were twists and turns, heart wrenching moments and all-the-feels simmering and slipping into the reader. 

Love, Lucy is a beautifully-written, atmospheric and all-the-feels-inducing contemporary romance. I highly recommend this to readers who enjoyed Just One Day by Gayle Forman and readers who like novels set in Italy, contemporary romance and coming-of-age stories. 

Rating:


5 Cupids = Eternal book love. I will never, ever, ever forget this book. I highly recommend this!


1 comment:

  1. Fantastic review, Precious! I'm dying to read this book, so I'm glad that it exceeded your expectations (5 stars, obviously!). I am a lover of Italy as well, and since I've not been, reading about it is as close as I'm going to get. :)

    ReplyDelete