Sunday, July 26, 2015

Review: The Game of Love and Death by Martha Brockenbrough

Book Description:

Hardcover, 329 pages
Published April 28th 2015 by Arthur A. Levine Books

Antony and Cleopatra. Helen of Troy and Paris. Romeo and Juliet. And now... Henry and Flora.

For centuries Love and Death have chosen their players. They have set the rules, rolled the dice, and kept close, ready to influence, angling for supremacy. And Death has always won. Always.

Could there ever be one time, one place, one pair whose love would truly tip the balance?

Meet Flora Saudade, an African-American girl who dreams of becoming the next Amelia Earhart by day and sings in the smoky jazz clubs of Seattle by night. Meet Henry Bishop, born a few blocks and a million worlds away, a white boy with his future assured—a wealthy adoptive family in the midst of the Great Depression, a college scholarship, and all the opportunities in the world seemingly available to him.

The players have been chosen. The dice have been rolled. But when human beings make moves of their own, what happens next is anyone’s guess.

Achingly romantic and brilliantly imagined, The Game of Love and Death is a love story you will never forget.

Reviewer's Copy: ARC

Source: Maricar + Pinoy Book Tours (Thank you!)

My Thoughts:

First of all, I loved the premise, because it was promising and had an entire history laid out for the reader. But the beginning of the book was slow and I struggled a bit upon starting The Game of Love and Death. However, as the story progressed and the game started and the stakes kept getting higher and higher, I found myself engrossed.

Henry was the perfect gentleman, the kind of boy who goes out of his way to ensure that you are safe and out of harm's way. He had a knack for writing and editing and was incredibly talented with music. I liked seeing his almost-martyr side, it pleased, pained and disappointed me. It was such a shocking view of the goodness of humanity enclosed in a single boy. The way he reached out to and took care of Flora touched my heart.

Flora reminded me of myself, because she was ambitious, determined and passionate about the things she loves in life. It was refreshing to read about her, such a unique character who didn't easily bow down under the building pressure of social norms and racism. I really liked how it hurt me to see Flora hurt, in any way. I have become emotionally attached to her. I applaud the author for making me feel drawn to the parts about aviation, as I so rarely read anything about this topic, especially in YA.

Love and Death were interesting characters. It was surprising to see the typically gendered roles reversed. Love was a boy and Death was a girl. They have been running the game for centuries, with their own pain, longing and sacrifices. I liked stepping into their minds, and seeing the story unfold from their points of view. As Love and Death wove the story using their own threads and patterns, the level of risk and danger heightened, bringing an all-new high to the book.

Overall, The Game of Love and Death was a romantic and tragic historical romance that sweeps readers off their feet with the right dose of desperation, tragedies and inspiration. The writing was amazing, and it was one of the reasons why I kept on reading. If you're into tragic love stories and stories revolving around the embodiment of timeless things such as Love and Death, and historical novels, then this is for you.

Rating:



4 Cupids = Strong book love.
I really enjoyed this. I recommend this!


9 comments:

  1. This looks like such an original concept. Will definitely check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Bidisha, thanks for dropping by! Hope you check this out.

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed reading The Game of Love and Death too! The premise was exciting and I loved Love and Death's characters. So glad you liked this too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kayla! But of course, you would love this. :) The author mentioned a possible story for Ethan (but she has not written it yet.) Miss you!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohmygosh tragic love story? Can my heart take this? LOL :D This goes to my TBR! Nice review as always, Precious darling! :)

    Julie @ Books and Insomnia

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen this book around, but I don't know why I didn't consider giving it a go earlier on, but I think you're review has convinced me to give it a go soon! Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been seeing this book everywhere. The premise is fantastic. It's so reassuring to hear that you enjoyed the book, because so many times the ones with the amazing premises fall short. I love the idea of having Love and Death as characters. Will definitely look out for this one.

    ReplyDelete