Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Spotted: Stacey Kade + The Ghost and The Goth

I remember the first time I saw the cover of The Ghost and The Goth (TGATG). Various bloggers featured this cover art and expressed their desire to read this. Back then, I didn't even know that TGATG is scheduled to be released this year. I had the pleasure of interviewing Stacey Kade, the author of TGATG. Here's the interview:

What is your purpose in writing The Ghost and The Goth?

I always write to tell myself the story first, so I guess I was just having fun! :) I recommend that for all writers, actually. Have fun telling yourself the story first, and then worry about what everyone else thinks. Otherwise, you'll drive yourself crazy!

What lessons will the readers pick up from your novel?

Hmm. I think that's a hard one to answer. I definitely don't set out to convey lessons in my books because I think everybody will pick up something different from them. However, the theme that I hope comes across through this book is that nobody's life is perfect. Everyone has their own set of troubles. Some troubles are just more obvious than others.

Why did you focus on ghosts?

I've always been fascinated by ghosts and hauntings. This was just an opportunity to explore that idea a little more deeply and figure out how it all might work.

Can you tell us about the relationship of Alona and Will?

Oh, the two of them are so much fun to write. They both need each other, though neither one of them would ever admit it. I also think it's definitely a case of opposites attracting, you know?

Was there a part of the novel that was hard to write?

As I recall, the end was tough. I'd written a draft up to about the last seventy-five pages and then I had to start pulling things together, and I wasn't sure how to make it work at first!

How does your mood affect your writing?

I try not to let it. It's very easy to let yourself slide by saying, "I don't feel like writing today." But the trick is to set goals for yourself and keep writing. Otherwise, you can always talk yourself out of it, and the story never gets finished.

What are you working on now?

Right now, I'm working on a couple of new ideas as well as third book in the Alona-Will trilogy.

What tips can you give to aspiring writers (like me)?

Keep writing! And keep having fun with it. :) Also, finish your stories. Even if you don't think they're good or if they're full of mistakes, write them all the way until the end. You learn so much by doing that.

What would you like to say to the people who have included your novel in their wish lists and / or to-be-read piles?

Thank you so much for giving my book a chance, and I really hope you enjoy it! :)

Thank you for dropping by, Stacey!
_______________________________________________________

Book Description via Goodreads:

After a close encounter with the front end of a school bus, Alona Dare goes from Homecoming Queen to Queen of the Dead. Now she’s stuck here in spirit form with no sign of the big, bright light coming to take her away. To make matters worse, the only person who might be able to help her is Will Killian, a total loser/outcast type who hates the social elite. He alone can see and hear her, but he wants nothing to do with the former mean girl of Groundsboro High.


Can they get over their mutual distrust—and this weird attraction between them—to work together before Alona vanishes for good and Will is locked up for seeing things that don’t exist?

Sounds interesting? Grab a copy now!

* photo taken from Stacey Kade's Official Website.


3 comments:

  1. It sounds great! I love the interview. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice interview! I loved this book :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like an interesting couple. wonder how their relationship will change Will.

    ReplyDelete