Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Review: Fractured by Teri Terry

Book Description:

Paperback, 432 pages
April 4th 2013, Orchard Books

How do you know where to go when you don't remember where you came from?

Kyla's memory has been erased,
her personality wiped blank,
her memories lost for ever.

Or so she thought.

Kyla shouldn't be able to remember anything. But she can - and she's beginning to realise that there are a lot of dark secrets locked away in her memories. When a mysterious man from her past comes back into her life, she thinks she's on her way to finding the truth. But the more she learns about her history, the more confusing her future becomes...

Set in a disturbing future world, FRACTURED is an engrossing, fast-paced read that establishes Teri Terry as a master thriller writer.

Source: Victoria + Orchard Books (Thank you!)

My Thoughts:

Slated, the first book, left me heartbroken, crushed, in agony and yet, still wanting more. With Fractured, the author not only swept me off my feet once again and lured me back into her amazing story world, she also managed to break my heart and crush me a second time. To keep it short and sweet: I absolutely loved Fractured!

In Slated, the characters were multilayered and complex. In Fractured, I found out that all the complexity of the characters was just the tip of the iceberg. Fractured explores deeper layers: issues, trauma, memories and the past. The Kyla I know now has grown and changed so much. From being the odd Slated to desperately wanting to know more about her child self to something entirely unexpected. When it comes to Kyla, there were layers and layers of secrets and memories, bound by force and several processes and intense experiences. Since reading Slated, I have become emotionally attached to Kyla. So reading as she dealt with problem after problem, suffered, crumpled, rose again and fought was a roller coaster of emotions. I was constantly at the edge of my seat.

The absence of Ben in her life became one of the many reasons why I remained emotionally attached to her. Even though they have known for each other for just a few months, their bond was strong. There were certain parts in the book when I just felt my heart twisting in pain. I experienced Rain's pain and that doesn't happen all the time.

The mysterious Nico played a bigger role in Fractured. The questions that his existence raised was, to be honest, enough to draw me in and keep me reading. I was so desperate to find the answer to that big question mark in my head. As it turned out, his life was woven with Rain's. When it came to Nico, nothing was ever what it appeared to be. Shrouded in a cloud of motives and secrets, I found him troubling, intriguing and sometimes, even a bit swoon-worthy when he was in a good mood. Most of the time though, alarm bells were ringing in my head for Rain. I tend to be suspicious of certain characters and that was exactly what happened in the case of Nico.

The action in this book was not the kind of action that was intense. Instead, it was the kind of action that was constantly accompanied by hesitation, mind games and suspense. That worked fabulously well with me. You never know what's going to happen next.

Fractured is part thriller, part psychological and all-dystopic. Fractured satisfies various types of readers. I highly recommend this to readers who are looking for unpredictable reads, psychological reads and dystopia with high levels of mustery and suspense and with bursts of action.

Rating:


5 Cupids = Eternal book love.
I will never, ever, ever forget this book. I highly recommend this!



No comments:

Post a Comment