Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Review: Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead

Summary (from Goodreads):

St. Vladimir’s Academy isn’t just any boarding school—it’s a hidden place where vampires are educated in the ways of magic and half-human teens train to protect them. Rose Hathaway is a Dhampir, a bodyguard for her best friend Lissa, a Moroi Vampire Princess. They’ve been on the run, but now they’re being dragged back to St. Vladimir’s—the very place where they’re most in danger. . . .

Rose and Lissa become enmeshed in forbidden romance, the Academy’s ruthless social scene, and unspeakable nighttime rituals. But they must be careful lest the Strigoi—the world’s fiercest and most dangerous vampires—make Lissa one of them forever.

My Thoughts:

I'm a bit judgmental when it comes to covers. I'm sorry! I couldn't help it. But I'm really glad that I tried reading VA because it was great. It was one of the best books ever written.

With a sexy body worthy of worshipping, a recklessness that gets her in trouble and a sense of loyalty and responsibility in guarding Lissa, Rose lives on in the Academy. She’s the modern paranormal heroine who pretty much raises the level of a female in a traditional society. She reminded me a bit of Lara Croft, in the sense that she’s a bombshell who can kick ass.

One of the things that I liked about VA is the classification. Vampires in this novel aren't simply classified as good or bad. The Moroi are element-wielding vampires, the ones that have the blood of royals. The Dhampir are half-humans, half-vampires, and the race of guardians who are fiercely dedicated to protecting the Moroi against the Strigoi - the evil immortal vampires who thirst for the blood of the Moroi. The history behind the story of VA was so rich. And the twist that flabbergasted and pleased me was this: vampires can go to church. Really! I didn’t expect this. Not one bit. It was nice that Mead established a connection between God and beings that we so often associate with the devil. Another thing is the humor. Sure, I love novels that dwell on the romantic theme. But I also love novels that make me laugh. This one is one of those. Rose Hathaway never fails to make me laugh with her retorts, sarcasm and her thoughts.

Vampire Academy is in a school setting with a paranormal theme. It mirrors the reality within the four-walled classroom. There are popular kids. There are rumors. There is tension. Power is wielded to manipulate in attempts to secure image and at the same time, to make people payback. Words are powerful. They are sharp, carelessly thrown and passed around, the student way. Some of the characters also reflected modern day personas of some students such as the social climbers, the power hungry, the misunderstood and the in-control. I really liked how the characters of VA were really well-developed.

All in all, Vampire Academy is a smoothly written novel. With an amazing plot and a cast of well-developed characters, Mead pulls readers in her vampiric world of power, danger, lust and love. However, there were times that I found it easy to put down the book. But I was really amazed with Mead! Not many authors can write a novel that succeeds both in the plot and the character development.

Rating:




5 comments:

  1. Great review! I'll be reading this soon, so it's a relief to read something good about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent review! I wholeheartedly agree with everything you said - I am a huge Vampire Academy fan. And trust me, I will be nagging you to read the rest of the books once you're able to get your hands on them :P I really love the different take on vampires this series has. So glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww...thanks! And I'm looking forward to the nagging part! I need motivation! Hahaha! And oh man, Spirit Bound is gonna come out soon. I need to catch up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay so glad to see you enjoyed VA so much! Do you think you will continue on with the series?

    I definitely found the religious aspect to be fascinating as well. Also, liked the classifications of the vampires and societal structures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I plan to finish the series! :) Since Spirit Bound is gonna be released in May, I need to catch up. It was something I didn't expect - the religious aspect. And it sure was unique.

    ReplyDelete