Saturday, June 26, 2010

Black Book Weekend: Review of Whisper by Phoebe Kitanidis

Hi guys! I'm gonna be starting a blog feature called Black Book Weekend. This is gonna run for three weeks or more. Every weekend there will be features on Black Books. Reviews, Interviews with the authors, Guest posts, etc. Me and my affliate, Kirthi from Pages will be posting on Saturdays or Sundays.

Book Description via Goodreads:

I’d love a cup of coffee. I wish she knew how pretty she was. I wish I could drop this kid in the dryer sometimes. I just want her to be happy. I hope she didn’t find out what Ben said about her. I wish I knew how many calories were in a bite of muffin…

Joy is used to hearing Whispers. She’s used to walking down the street and instantly knowing people’s deepest, darkest desires. She uses this talent for good, to make people happy and give them what they want. But for her older sister, Jessica, the family gift is a curse, and she uses it to make people’s lives—especially Joy’s—miserable. Still, when Joy Hears a frightening whisper from Jessica's own mind, she knows she has to save her sister, even if it means deserting her friends, stealing a car and running away with a boy she barely knows—a boy who may have a dark secret of his own.

Source: Phoebe Kitanidis (Thank you!)

My Thoughts:

After years of granting people’s wishes and making the world a happier place, a night of a killer headache and deafening silence, Joy’s gift finally matured. She can now hear whispers that come from a deeper and darker place and manifest the side of humanity that centres on the satiation of wants. Disturbed and terrified, Joy found out that she can’t carry on doing the only thing that defines her: granting wishes. She was wrapped in a cloud of loss, loss for not hearing dark desires, loss of friendships and loss of the things she believed in.

Jessica has always been acknowledged as the evil sister, the one who was always making everyone’s lives miserable with the sharp truth pouring out of her mouth. Joy was convinced that her sister was beyond any point of reasoning with. Joy was about to find out more about her sister as she races to save her.

Phoebe created a world where desires and wishes – both good and bad – are unravelled, giving better judgment and helping people like Joy see the reflection of someone’s soul. Her writing, through Joy’s optimistic perspective found the best in everything and in everyone.

In this debut, the threads that bind and make a strong bond – sisterhood – are scrutinized. Every memory, every intention, every word, every whisper awakened me to the reality of a life with a sibling, a person that I can be friends and enemies with at times. It can be positive and negative depending on what angle you choose to see it through.

Whisper is a novel of realizations and revelations about the truth of familial and friendly relationships and of acknowledgement of the dark part of our souls and the desires that may be egoistic and selfish, and above all human, that dwell inside our hearts.

Rating:
 

5
 
 

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed Whisper too but wasn't nearly as articulate as you were in your review. If you want to, you can check out my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I commented on your review on Goodreads... Lol. Super-loved it and I'm glad you liked it. Just cannot wait for Phoebe to write a sequel... If she will. lol! :)

    ReplyDelete