Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Review: Carrier of the Mark by Leigh Fallon

Book Description via Goodreads:

ARC. 348 pages
October 4, 2011, Harper Teen

Their love was meant to be.


When Megan Rosenberg moves to Ireland, everything in her life seems to fall into place. After growing up in America, she's surprised to find herself feeling at home in her new school. She connects with a group of friends, and she is instantly drawn to darkly handsome Adam DeRís.


But Megan is about to discover that her feelings for Adam are tied to a fate that was sealed long ago—and that the passion and power that brought them together could be their ultimate destruction.


Source: Pinoy Book Tours (Thank you!)

My Thoughts:

Before I begin, let me just say that The Carrier of the Mark delivered well. No wonder it was one of the top reads in Inkpop, it was a fresh paranormal romance with an eccentric flavor. Like most novels, it started with Megan moving to Ireland, leaving behind everything she knew but the only difference was that – she didn’t really leave behind everything – just a house she once lived in and just friends that she went to school with. She had learned to distance herself from other people, to not get too close since it always ended up with tears and pouts. She and her dad have been moving around for years now, trying to find that ‘good start’ after her mother’s death.

Enter, the tall, mysterious and handsome guy – Adam DeRís. His good looks, mysterious vibe and strong presence had latched onto Megan’s mind and heart before she even knew it. She was pining for him. But according to the rumors, the DeRíses were an odd bunch, the go-bump-in-the-night-type. Megan however, found something in Adam, something more than just attraction.

The first few chapters were not as wonderful as I hoped they would be. But once the secrets started unfolding and I saw sparks starting to fly, I found myself hooked to it. The sizzle between Megan and Adam was strong and soon they found themselves attached not only emotionally but also elementally. Sweet scenes turned hot at times and I’m sure these will be enjoyed by paranormal romance readers.

Adam’s siblings were also a joy to read. Anya was full of life, humour and wonder. She was the friendly and dependable sibling who cared for both Adam and Megan. Rian, on the other hand, exuded mystery, an air of confidence and danger. I was drawn to Rian’s persona. He had the brooding-good-looking-guy thing going on. Coupled with his power, he was a magnetic and unstoppable force. The story of the DeRíses was a fascinating, risky and tragic one.

The mythology that Fallon introduced was new to me. It was complicated, exciting and fresh. The goddess Danu gave her children the chance and the power to stabilize the forces of nature, to balance the earth. But through the years, the Marked ones, the chosen ones have been missing. The Order of the Mark, the dedicated protectors of the secret, was never able to complete the alignment ritual of the elements. But with Megan, the fourth Marked, found, would they finally be able to get it over with?

Carrier of the Mark is engrossing, heart-warming and magical read. A breath of fresh air in the paranormal romance field, this offers readers a unique story and an eccentric mythology. I highly recommend this to paranormal lovers!






Rating:




7 comments:

  1. exciting review! I can't wait to pick this one up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been following Leigh's blog for a while and I've been looking forward to her book. I like the fact that it's set in Ireland.

    Glad you liked the book, I've been getting mixed reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great book and I'm glad you enjoyed it! I love how vivid the setting is and how much chemistry Megan and Adam have. Can't wait for book two!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I love your banner! May I use the book tour banner on my blog soon?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @DJ I agree! Can't wait for book 2 - need it soon!

    @kwesi Sure! It's for the Pinoy Book Tours. :) And you're part of it, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, great review, fellow Pinay! May I ask where you got the background? MY blog background doesn't really give that awesome factor.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @SGC Hello, too! :) And thank you SO much. I appreciate every comment. It's a freebie that I got years ago when I first started reviewing. Have been using it eversince. Got it from April Showers Blog Design. :)

    ReplyDelete