Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Review: Beautiful Chaos by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl


Book Description via Goodreads:

Paperback, 516 pages
October 18, 2011, Little, Brown and Company

Ethan Wate thought he was getting used to the strange, impossible events happening in Gatlin, his small Southern town. But now that Ethan and Lena have returned home, strange and impossible have taken on new meanings. Swarms of locusts, record-breaking heat, and devastating storms ravage Gatlin as Ethan and Lena struggle to understand the impact of Lena's Claiming. Even Lena's family of powerful Supernaturals is affected - and their abilities begin to dangerously misfire. As time passes, one question becomes clear: What — or who — will need to be sacrificed to save Gatlin?

For Ethan, the chaos is a frightening but welcome distraction. He's being haunted in his dreams again, but this time it isn't by Lena - and whatever is haunting him is following him out of his dreams and into his everyday life. Even worse, Ethan is gradually losing pieces of himself — forgetting names, phone numbers, even memories. He doesn't know why, and most days he's too afraid to ask.

Sometimes there isn't just one answer or one choice. Sometimes there's no going back. And this time there won't be a happy ending.

Source: Bought

Warning: Might be slightly spoilery for those who haven’t read the first two books of the series.

Note: This is the kind of book that is hard to forget. It is strong, emotional and unputdownable just like its predecessors but even more. This is memorable not only because I read it on my birthday but also because I cried so many times while reading it.

My Thoughts:

The love triangle of Ethan, Lena and Liv still entertained me. But this time, I got to see not only the tension between Liv and Lena but also Lena’s emotions and thoughts about the other girl and Ethan. It was great for Lena to show her jealousy, insecurity and pain. I loved seeing how human she could be despite her unparalleled powers. This was once of the reasons why I got attached to her. She was not as open as Ethan when it came to showing emotions but when she shed her Caster skin and I got a glimpse of the true, vulnerable Lena underneath, it was unforgettable.

Ethan grew up as a character. Lena wasn’t the only one who needed to choose. Ethan would, too. I enjoyed seeing Ethan take on the supernatural Caster world and all the obstacles that stand in his and Lena’s way. But the journey that he endured in Beautiful Chaos was probably too much for a mortal. I admired his perseverance, courage and good heart. I believe that Ethan became a man in this installment.

Aside from Ethan and Lena, another character took center stage: John Breed. To be honest, I hated him pre-Beautiful Chaos but once I got to know more about him, I actually liked him. I think I might have even liked him more than Ethan. I got to know his softer, more vulnerable side – the real John and not the John that Abraham created. I really enjoyed reading about him and Liv. Their relationship was an unexpected one. That made it all the more exciting and sweet, because I never would have thought that Liv would go for someone like John Breed or that John could fall in love with our resident nerdy girl and treat her like a princess.

At this point in the series, I find it so wonderful that Stohl and Garcia still manage to spin twist after twist. I couldn’t even imagine how the beginning of the book ended with that heart-wrenching ending! I bawled my eyes out after reading this. I was so attached with the characters, especially to Ethan and Amma. Their pain and suffering became my own.

Heart-wrenching, gut-twistingly painful and bittersweet, Beautiful Chaos will captivate readers with its emotional impact and superb world building. This has everything I wanted in a novel: action, suspense, romance, tear-inducing scenes and sweetness. I highly recommend this series to all fantasy, paranormal and romance readers. Be prepared to be swept off your feet!

Rating:

5 Cupids = Eternal book love. 
I will never, ever, ever forget this book. I highly recommend this!




2 comments:

  1. Wah!!! I'm about to read Beautiful Creatures and I saw the trailer at the movie house. 3 words- must read quick. Thanks for the awesome review, Precious.

    -Dannielle

    ReplyDelete