Thursday, February 21, 2013

Review: Easy by Tammara Webber

Book Description via Goodreads:

Paperback, 310 pages
November 6th 2012, Berkley Trade

Rescued by a stranger.
Haunted by a secret
Sometimes, love isn’t easy…

He watched her, but never knew her. Until thanks to a chance encounter, he became her savior…

The attraction between them was undeniable. Yet the past he’d worked so hard to overcome, and the future she’d put so much faith in, threatened to tear them apart.

Only together could they fight the pain and guilt, face the truth—and find the unexpected power of love.

A groundbreaking novel in the New Adult genre, Easy faces one girl's struggle to regain the trust she's lost, find the inner strength to fight back against an attacker, and accept the peace she finds in the arms of a secretive boy.

Source: Bought

My Thoughts:

Why I picked up Easy: I've heard and read so many good things about the book. My bookish friends highly recommend it. So I tried it.

The beginning of the novel thrust me into a world of realities, where girls can be overpowered; feel threatened even in public and of course, be saved by her knight in shining armor. Jacqueline was *this* close to being raped but lucky for her, Lucas was in the area. He saved her not only from Buck, the bad guy, but also from her issues.

Jacqueline just broke up with her longtime boyfriend, Kennedy. She was hurt, still unable to move on, sad and thanks to the recent assault by Buck, threatened and scared. I liked her as a character. She was flawed and that made her seem realistic to me. She was most realistic to me during her moments of doubt, insecurity and weakness – whether it was physical or emotional weakness. The Jacqueline at the beginning of the novel was not the strong and empowered Jacqueline that I found at the end. I enjoyed reading about her character growth.

Lucas was the perfect imperfect package. Sounds ironic? Let me explain:

  • Lucas is smart. The conversations between Lucas and Jacqueline went beyond the usual conversations between characters in YA. The conversations had a touch of ‘smart wit’ that I enjoyed very much.
  • He’s an artist and for some reason he seemed more attractive that way. Who wouldn’t appreciate a person who could draw and capture the beauty of their loved one?
  • He has a big heart. I say this not only because he saved Jacqueline from a traumatic event in her life but because he was also willing to help people.
  • He’s a knight in shining armor – a lethal one. Lucas is protective of Jacqueline. I find that sweet. However, just like a protective knight, he kicks ass so intensely that he can be lethal.
  • He has dark secrets. It’s easy to fall for Lucas but it’s not that easy to get to know him, really. He is tight-lipped about his past. As the story neared the end, I got glimpses of his dark side. He’s just as vulnerable as everybody else.
  • He changed. Just like Jacqueline, the Lucas at the beginning of the novel was not the Lucas that I found at the end. He became stronger, reassessed and accepted his past and of course, found love.

The imperfection of both characters made them the perfect fictional characters for me. Flawed but real and living typical lives and finding true love.

There have been comments about Lucas being ‘everywhere’ in the novel. He has lots of jobs. Although it might seem too much for a contemporary novel to present Lucas as an all-around worker on campus, we have to keep mind that this is still fiction.

The romance between Lucas and Jacqueline was electrifyingly hot. At the beginning, despite the distance between them, I could imagine the electricity running through the air, connecting their bodies. It was natural, as if it’s meant to be. It was in no way forced or lacking. The sexual scenes were artfully done, with just the right amount details and spice to keep readers hooked and satisfied.

Easy is a powerful, electrifyingly hot and romantic New Adult novel that will keep readers emotionally attached, looking forward to every encounter between Lucas and Jacqueline and eventually, racing to the end. I highly recommend this to older teens and readers who enjoy contemporary romance, mature Young Adult and New Adult novels.

Rating:

5 Cupids = Eternal book love.
I will never, ever, ever forget this book. I highly recommend this!


3 comments:

  1. Fantastic book, and great review, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one's been on my radar—will definitely have to give it a try after reading this wonderfully balanced and thoughtful review : )

    ReplyDelete