Monday, December 26, 2011

Review: The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith

Book Description via Goodreads:

Bound Manuscript, 201 pages
January 2, 2012, Headline

Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?

Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan's life. She's stuck at JFK, late to her father's second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon to be step-mother that Hadley's never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport's cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he's British, and he's in seat 18C. Hadley's in 18A.

Twists of fate and quirks of timing play out in this thoughtful novel about family connections, second chances and first loves. Set over a 24-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver's story will make you believe that true love finds you when you're least expecting it.

*The cover on the left side is the one on the bound manuscript but I think that the cover on the right side is the final cover for Headline (UK).

Source: Sam & Headline (Thank you!)

My Thoughts:

I’ll start by saying this quote from Sea by Heidi Kling: I wanted to tell him that you can meet someone and they can change your life forever, even if you have only known him for a short while…

That quote was exactly what was manifested in The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight. But when Hadley met Oliver, she wasn’t really thinking about that. She was thinking that it was all because of the flight. Midair, people meet people, share stories with them and maybe even share a few secrets with them. But upon landing, they just wave goodbye and walk away forever. Somehow, that was what happened to Hadley and Oliver. They met at the airport, left the airport and went their separate ways. It should’ve stayed that way for them, like for most people, but in 24 hours time, they managed to develop a connection that was sudden, startling and life-changing.

Hadley went to the airport with annoyance, dread and unwillingness building up inside of her. Her father was going to get married to a British woman she’s never even met, the same British woman that caused her parents’ divorce. She was one of the bridesmaids. I love Hadley’s character. She was honest but considerate and unsure in so many ways but determined. She seemed so real. This girl could be me if I were in that position. For this, it was very easy to like her and to feel for her.

Oliver was an English gentleman. Tall, lanky, handsome with good humor, he was absolutely adorable. Throughout the time he spent with Hadley while waiting for their flight and during the flight, he was pleasing, entertaining and amusing. He was the kind of guy that makes a good impression and that is hard to forget. But I could sense that there was something dark about him, like something was weighing down on his shoulders, occasionally making him hunched, distant and silent.

In London, Hadley went through the motions of preparing for the wedding. She met Charlotte, the British woman who captured her Dad’s heart. There, she realized the truth about her Dad’s new phase, the changes in her own life and Oliver. The novel was a grand mixture of musings and flashbacks that brought me closer and closer to Hadley. The flashbacks were vivid and painted with emotion. They were honest and real from the memory of a child. It helped me in connecting the dots and seeing the bigger picture.

The writing was breathtaking. I loved it! I loved how the author transformed that most mundane thing into something beautiful and how she injected little bits of realizations about daily life into the novel. It was like looking at life through a different pair of eyes.

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight is an extraordinary contemporary romance born from an extraordinary circumstance. The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight is brimming with humor, curiosity, love, changes and regrets that will fly readers to the world of possibility, fresh starts and second chances. I highly recommend this to readers of contemporary romance!

Rating:




5 comments:

  1. i’m so excited to read this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED this book!!! So beautiful and sigh-worthy and oh my gosh, wasn't Oliver so darn charming? <3 There's something about a British boy that I love :D Brilliant review, Precious, I am so happy to hear you love this as much as I do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This by far, is the most detailed review I've read. And it only fueled my current obsession about this book. I want to read this book so badly, it's killing me. Great review! :)

    Sarah @ Smitten over Books

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I just noticed that you uses Cupid rating as well! I used it, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the review! I'm really looking forward to picking up a copy. It's been on my GR list for a while now, and knowing that you loved it makes me even more excited/anxious to read it. :-)

    ReplyDelete