Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Need by Carrie Jones


Lots of people love this book, and I must admit, I'm one of them. I like how Carrie Jones used the name of phobias as the title of each chapter and how she showed in every chapter how this phobia played a part in Zara's life. It was like breaking the novel into pieces of experiences that linked to one another like a chain.

Zara possessed characteristics that set her apart from other main characters. She's into amnesty international and freeing people - which is quite rare in teenagers nowadays. Plus, she's probably memorized every single phobia that is named. It was a bit strange but unique nonetheless. Since I read Need, everytime I encounter a name of a phobia, I think of Zara. She is a little bit like Bella of Twilight, in the sense that she always mentioned how cute, handsome and perfect Nick is. However, it doesn't reach Bella's level of admiration. But I guess, that is also essential in this novel. Zara, having gone through her days with the agony and misery of the death of her father, is a little unlike herself. She's lost spunk and happiness. She's a little bitter and too sad. So when Nick comes along, a spark lighted within her. Love awakens her. And when a girl is inlove, mentioning and thinking about how cute and perfect her love(Nick) is, is absolutely understandable. Zara's only human after all. Okay, almost only human.

The other characters of this novel were developed well. We get to see how they're like and how they live. But there are cases when I wish I could know more about the other characters. Apart from that, they are distinct.

Many times I was surprised with the little revelations in the novel. As I read it, guesses form in my head, but at the time of revelation, I found out that I guessed wrong and that my guesses were far from the truth unveiled. It's good to be able to read a novel like this that surprises me. I hate predictable stories.

Need is a chain of experiences that link Zara's life to weres and pixies that are human most of the time or are glamoured most of the time. It's filled with phobias, unpredictable revelations and pixie-hunting, tinged with hints of fur and gold glitter dust.


4 comments:

  1. Great review! I'm reading this at the moment and liking it so far :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome review, Precious! Detailed without giving away major spoilers :) I definitely need to read NEED - it seems everyone has jumped on the bandwagon already! Hope you can get Captivate soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I have this in my TBR pile, along with it's sequel, and I'm looking forward to reading both. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read mixed reviews about this book, but I like the thing about phobias: sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete