Saturday, March 20, 2010

Angelic Friday: City of Glass by Cassandra Clare



Angelic Friday is a new Meme started by me, that features books that explore the lives of angels, nephilims and fallen angels.

I'm sorry! This is a LATE post. Friday was hectic. I crammed my portfolio in Creative Writing + I took my final quiz in Spanish 13. After school, I kept dozing. My mind wan't in the perfect condition to write a review. But after I slept the whole night and until noon, I'm ready!

Today, I will try a slightly different way of reviewing. I hope it works.

Book Description (from Simon and Schuster):To save her mother's life, Clary must travel to the City of Glass, the ancestral home of the Shadowhunters -- never mind that entering the city without permission is against the Law, and breaking the Law could mean death. To make things worse, she learns that Jace does not want her there, and her best friend, Simon, has been thrown in prison by the Shadowhunters, who are deeply suspicious of a vampire who can withstand sunlight.

As Clary uncovers more about her family's past, she finds an ally in mysterious Shadowhunter Sebastian. With Valentine mustering the full force of his power to destroy all Shadowhunters forever, their only chance to defeat him is to fight alongside their eternal enemies. But can Downworlders and Shadowhunters put aside their hatred to work together? While Jace realizes exactly how much he's willing to risk for Clary, can she harness her newfound powers to help save the Glass City -- whatever the cost?

Love is a mortal sin and the secrets of the past prove deadly as Clary and Jace face down Valentine in the final installment of the New York Times bestselling The Mortal Instruments.

My Thoughts:

Let me start by saying that City of Bones and City of Ashes don't come close to City of Glass. City of Glass is far more superior in every way I could think of. From the character development, to the plot, to the thrill, to the pull, to the beautiful ending, I thoroughly enjoyed every bit of the novel.

After being left behind by Jace in their supposed-to-be trip to Idris, Clary illegally makes a portal and transports herself to Idris. But she isn't the only one, Luke whirled along with her to Idris.Meanwhile, Jace is in the Penhallow's house, with Aline, the Lightwoods and Simon.

The Things I Love About City of Glass:

1. Ambience of Idris

I see Idris as this magical, ethereal and peaceful place, at least for the first few pages of City of Glass. It is vividly created through words and the image of it was painted carefully with chosen descriptions in my mind. Old-fashioned and loyal to the Shadowhunter traditions, Idris portrays a very different world from the one we have.

2. Clary's Ability

After seeing how the people around Clary are so prone to the danger that Valentine and his demon army pose against them, Clary's ability to use runes that are older than Shadowhunter ones is a hope booster in times of fear. I like the part in the novel where Clary used a mark that allowed all the people to see the one they loved the most in Clary. In real life, this could also reflect that even someone who is young and experienced can contribute to overall change.

3. Sebastian VS. Jace

Sebastian is Aline's cousin. A gorgeous new face, a new threat, a new guy trying to find a space in Clary's heart. Or is he? There will be a big revelation somewhere near the end...and it will be HUGE! This revelation draws a line connecting Clary, Jace and Sebastian. In the end, there will be a duel between Jace and Seb.

4. The Battle, baby!

Okay, I think that just made me sound like a guy. Or like Simon. LOL. But honestly, it's great! The battle scenes were written perfectly. Not too gorry. But just with the proper amount of violence and cruelty and blood. Cassandra Clare's battle scenes remind me of The Lord of the Rings.

City of Glass is a page-turner that will pull readers into the magnificent world of the Mortal Instruments and let them witness the story of Clary and Jace, as they struggle with the love that they know is forbidden and the danger posed by their father that threatens their lives, as well as everyone in Idris.

Rating:


No comments:

Post a Comment