Monday, March 21, 2011

Review: Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma

Book Description via Goodreads:

Sixteen-year-old Maya and seventeen-year-old Lochan have never had the chance to be 'normal' teenagers. Having pulled together for years to take care of their younger siblings while their wayward, drunken mother leaves them to fend alone, they have become much more than brother and sister. And now, they have fallen in love. But this is a love that can never be allowed, a love that will have devastating consequences ...

How can something so wrong feel so right?

Source: Borrowed from Anne (Thank you!)

My Thoughts:

Other people might balk at the idea of reading something about incest but for me, it is a different read - challenging and unique. Being inside the heads of two people involved in a consensual incestuous relationship was really different. It was not awkward for me. I just got to know the characters so well that I felt like I understood them.

Written in a very beautiful way, almost poetic, Forbidden was delightful and pulsing with emotion. It was not in any way repulsive. In fact, it was a very consuming read. I felt like I was there with them, having to deal with their alcoholic mother, entertaining Willa and Tiffin every night, making sure they were okay, calming down Kit. Their family was not perfect. Their father left them to go to Australia with his new wife. Their mother was not acting her age, drinking and spending her time and money for her fake youth and boyfriend. Maya and Lochie worked together as partners to manage everything. Despite the ugly side of their lives, the author was able to capture the beautiful and important moments.

Their love was fueled by pure love. Something so whole and untainted and ever-present that it was so strong. Two siblings who were only 13 months apart, viewed each other and acted as equals. They were never like a brother or sister. They were partners, companions, best friends, a shoulder to lean on, strength, hope, back-up and so much more. Their love was taboo to people. It was awkward for them and there was a time that they stopped talking to each other. They were hesitant at first, unable to fully accept the reality and express their feelings to each other. But as time passed, they could no longer keep it all inside, living a relationship behind closed doors was bliss to them and pain at the same time. Pain because their love would never be accepted by the world.

The struggles of each member of the family were also seen here. It was the unraveling of an imperfect family, real, unfortunate and sad. Lochan has social phobia. His narration sometimes bordered to something close to crazy. It was alarming and terrifying. Kit, their 13 year old brother, was going through a phase. Always trying to cause fights in the family, provoking Lochan and being rebellious and super sensitive. Maya was always helping Lochan with the household stuff. When she feels like he could not do it alone anymore, she was there for him.

Forbidden is unputdownable, heartbreaking, tragic, painful, sad, passionate, steamy and amazing. It is a strong novel about love, family, loss and sacrifices. It will make readers smile, ache, cry and read. I recommend this to older teens and to fans of romance.

Rating:




8 comments:

  1. Loved your review!
    I have been wanting to read this but I'm a little hesitant... but for sure I'll give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to read this book. Where did you find a copy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, wait, you borrowed it. Where did Anne find a copy? :-P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh gosh, this has totally been bumped up on my TBR pile now. I knew you'd do this to me :) Love your review, I am already wow-ed over by this book from reading what you've written. Sounds very emotional and thought-provoking, I can't wait to read it! Brilliant review, Precious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Frosy it's worth a shot! :) Hope you'll like it!

    @Kate I think she bought it! Whether it's in Powerbooks/FB/BookDepo, I'm not sure! It was published last year in the UK!

    @Brodie Yay!! Thank you! I'm so glad that you loved my review! Read it, read it! You know you wanna.. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's not available in the US until June... I put it on my wish list so that I won't forget about it. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review. Sounds like a combination of V.C. Andrews and Cynthia Voigt

    ReplyDelete
  8. This book is definitely something that would stay with you long after you finish it. Lochie and Maya still haunt me sometimes. I still can't get over the ending. I really wish Tabitha would write an alternate ending. :(

    I got this from Book Sale, by the way.

    ReplyDelete