Monday, April 30, 2012

Review: Slated by Teri Terry


Book Description via Goodreads:

ARC, 444 pages
May 3, 2012, Orchard Books

Kyla’s memory has been erased,
her personality wiped blank,
her memories lost for ever.

She’s been Slated.

The government claims she was a terrorist, and that they are giving her a second chance - as long as she plays by their rules. But echoes of the past whisper in Kyla’s mind. Someone is lying to her, and nothing is as it seems. Who can she trust in her search for the truth?

Source: Gifted (Thanks Kai!)

My Thoughts:

Kyla was different.

Kyla was Slated. She didn’t have the eternal-I’m-harmless-and-oblivious-smile that was pasted on the faces of young Slateds. She was very curious about everything around her. It had become her way of coping – mapping out her world and discovering every detail about it, including details that could get her in trouble. I liked Kyla a lot. I admired how she remained true to herself while adjusting to her world. Most of all, she sought out the truth behind every lie and she never gave up on that search.

The concept of Slated was terrifying for me. The idea of being Slated – losing your memories, your personality and your family, starting over without knowing how to claim your life as your own and how to find place in this all-new-world – was too much. Slateds were held back by manacles aka Levos, devices that looks like wristwatches that detect and measure their level of happiness. The stable level was 5 but if a Slated’s level would go down, it could lead to blacking out, seizures or worse, death. It was startling to know that they were forced to adjust to their new life with those Levos on. When you’re new, you’re bound to get upset, sad, frustrated and even angry at this phase.

Ben was a well-adjusted Slated. Everybody seemed to like him. He was nice to everyone, including Kyla. As the two became friends, they found out startling things about themselves and the society they belonged to. Lorders, people who maintained Law and Order, were always in school gatherings. People went missing and were taken for granted. No one seemed to be concerned about them. No one mentioned the missing, as if they didn’t exist anymore. It seemed that everybody who said the wrong thing at the wrong moment was caught. The tension intensified even more as terrorists made their move. But on top of it all, one of the things that really bothered Ben and Kyla was this: Ben, along with other Slateds, couldn’t seem to think for himself, couldn’t seem to notice things that were oh so wrong in Kyla’s eyes. The government messed with their brains.

I enjoyed and savored every page of Slated. It was the kind of novel that took both of your hands and pulled you into its pages, making you hesitant and even unwilling to leave it. As I questioned along with Kyla, I was struck with horror and repulsion at how people could easily be manipulated and silenced in her world. There was too much sugarcoating on every word that people spoke. People hid the truth with perfect smiles and nonchalant gestures. Kyla dug deep for answers. She certainly wanted them and she was willing to take risks. But when she does find them, things will never be the same for her.

Another thing I liked about Slated was the fact that not one character was the same from beginning to end. As the story progressed, I witnessed how their multilayered skins and masks peeled off to reveal their cores underneath. Every character had his/her own surprising revelation. Secret after secret exploded in this intense dystopian.

Slated is an addictive and unforgettable page-turner that is brimming with deception, suspense and mystery. With a smart, curious and inquisitive Slated heroine, plunge into the futuristic, intense and secret-filled story world of Slated. If you’re looking for a great May debut, this one is for you! I highly recommend this to dystopian and post-apocalyptic readers and mystery readers!

Rating:




6 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting! A bit like La Femme Nikita, which isn't a bad thing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds great! Can't wait to read it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Consider my interest piqued! The general synopsis seems interesting enough, but it was those awful Levos that made me decide that I need to read this book. Those things sound absolutely terrifying, and I'm curious how to slated cope with those things.

    - Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh you totally makde me wanna read this book even though I do didn't care about this book before! But, I do want to meet those characters !!!

    You had me at: "As the story progressed, I witnessed how their multilayered skins and masks peeled off to reveal their cores underneath."

    ReplyDelete
  5. The characters in this one sound awesome. Just as Danny said before me - that portion of the characters is what I love in a book. If there characters don't grow, then the rest of the story better be crazy awesome for me to like it. However, if the characters are awesome - that can make a story all on it's own!

    - Jessica @ Book Sake

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes! Another book to add to my list to complete my challenge. I'm horrible behind.

    ReplyDelete