Monday, April 18, 2011

Review: Afterlife by Claudia Gray


Warning: May contain spoilers for those who haven’t read Hourglass!

Book Description:

Hardcover, 360 pages
March 8, 2011, Harper Teen

The fourth book in this electrifying vampire series has all the romance, suspense, and page-turning drama that have made Claudia Gray’s Evernight books runaway successes.

Having become what they feared most, Bianca and Lucas face a terrifying new reality. They must return to Evernight Academy, Lucas as a vampire and Bianca as a wraith. But Lucas is haunted by demons, both personal and supernatural. Bianca must help him fight the evil inside him, combat the forces determined to drive them apart—and find the power to claim her destiny at last.

Readers have fallen in love with Bianca and Lucas, and they will be thrilled to read this exciting conclusion to their romantic adventure.

Source: Harper Teen & Erika (Thank you!)

My Thoughts:

In the fourth book, the starcrossed lovers Bianca and Lucas encounter another reason that set them apart from each other. After his transformation, Lucas awoke as a bloodthirsty vampire – craving more blood than the usual newborns. He hated himself for feeling what his enemies feel. Without her body, Bianca could only help him minimally. She faced her own struggles with being as wraith. When she was in Evernight Academy, wraiths have attacked her but now that she was one of them, she struggles to understand their intentions. With the help of Maxie, Bianca goes to Christopher in the world of lost things to search for answers and explanations.

As always, I loved the pace and the unpredictability of Gray’s last installment. I have grown to like Bianca’s narrative. It was familiar and soothing despite the obstacles and problems that she and Lucas encountered. They seek the protection and guidance for Lucas in Evernight Academy, the territory of Mrs. Bethany – the headmistress who wants nothing more than revenge against the wraiths for the havoc they wrecked.

I love that the characters have grown. They have learned to conquer their fears and to deal with the challenges of life or afterlife in some cases. The twists and turns made everything better. I was constantly surprised with the turn of events. I got to know the other side of some of the characters that I normally would not pay attention to.

This was a great end to the Evernight series. Gray sustained the drama, suspense and action. She never failed in delivering the best to her readers. Afterlife is the shocking, heart pounding, tragic and romantic conclusion to Lucas and Bianca’s struggle with their love and lives.

Rating:






4 comments:

  1. I thought this was a brilliant end to Bianca and Lucas' story. I even got a bit teary toward the end. :-) Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, I'm so tempted to read this! But I want to start this series and don't want to spoil myself. I read the last paragraph and your rating though... and you have convinced me I NEED to start these asap!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh I'm so glad you loved it! I am so in love with Lucas and Bianca and the ending is just... love, love, love and did I say love? <33

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am thinking this may be my favourite of the series, everyone l have read have each become my favourite till l read the next in the series, hoping this will be the same! =)

    ReplyDelete