Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday: Falling for Henry + Winging It!


Falling for Henry by Beverly Brenna
Publication Date: October 2011
Published by: Red Deer Press

Falling for Henry (Red Deer Press, 2011) is a Young Adult time slip novel which relies on historical fiction to tell the story of fifteen-year-old Kate Allen who escapes the trials of her own teen existence in central London by traveling back to the court of Henry VII at Greenwich Palace. Once there, she masquerades as Katherine of Aragon, the young woman who will become the first wife of the young and charismatic prince once he is crowned King Henry VIII. At first seeing their courtship as an answer to her 21st century troubles, Kate’s changing heart provides a strong rhythm for this close look at relationships.

One of the sub-themes of the novel involves wolves of 16th century England who, close to extermination, have found a way to thwart extinction. This related environmental theme offers the life force Kate has been missing, and as she discovers ways to put her different pasts behind her, she also finds ways to come to terms with the present, including the panic attacks that have been increasing in duration since her father’s untimely death. Will the young wolf pup she befriends in Tudor Times make it back to reunite with its mother in modern day England? Will Kate ever find someone to replace a lost soul mate? Only time will tell in this fast-paced adventure, rich with British history and modern-day coming-of-age sensitivity. Thought-provoking reading for ages 11 and up.

Why I Chose This:

I’ve always wanted to read time travel novels. I like the historical element of the book, as well as the romance. It sounds like a cute, sweet read. Also, I absolutely like wolves! So when I read about a young wolf pup involved in the story, I couldn’t resist!

Winging It by Deborah Cooke
Publication Date: December 6, 2011
Published by: NAL Trade

Zoë Sorensson yearns to come into her powers as the only female dragon shifter. But being part of two worlds is more complicated than she expected. It’s bad enough that she’s the target of the Mages’ plan to eliminate all shifters—she also has to hide her true nature from her best friend Megan, a human. For her sixteenth birthday, all Zoë wants is one normal day, including a tattoo and a chance to see hot rocker Jared.

Instead, the Pyr throw her a birthday party but ban Megan from attendance, putting Zoë in a tight spot. Things get even worse when Zoe is invited to the popular kids’ Halloween party and Megan’s left out. Zoë knows the party is a trap laid by the host, an apprentice Mage. When Megan gets a last-minute invite, Zoë must save the day—and her best friend—without revealing her fire-breathing secrets ...

Why I Chose This:

I’m going to start the first book ASAP! I’m highly interested in anything related to dragons and I’d most definitely want to continue the series! I’ve heard great things about Deborah Cooke and I’m about to find out if all of those are true (which I’m about 95% sure of.)



3 comments:

  1. These books really sound good. I'm a sucker for time travel books with a touch of the historical and dragon books. Thanks for the heads-up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Falling for Henry sounds like something I could really enjoy despite it being totally out of my usual reading box :)

    Here is my WoW: http://tinyurl.com/6x6hj6k
    Nickey @ The Book Shop Assistant

    ReplyDelete
  3. I soo want to read Falling for Henry! Time travel, history and wolves? Does it get any better than that?! Waterfall series has made me hungry for more time travel, so I'm super excited for this. And I'm really eager for the Flying Blind series since I'm now officially Team Dragon!

    ReplyDelete