Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday: Without Tess + Prized


Without Tess by Marcella Pixley
Publication Date: October 11, 2011
Publisshed by: Farrar, Straus & Giroux

Sometimes growing up means letting go--even of those we love the most.

Tess and Lizzie are sisters, sisters as close as can be, who share a secret world filled with selkies, flying horses, and a girl who can transform into a wolf in the middle of the night. But when Lizzie is ready to grow up, Tess clings to their fantasies. As Tess sinks deeper and deeper into her delusions, she decides that she can’t live in the real world any longer and leaves Lizzie and her family forever. Now, years later, Lizzie is in high school and struggling to understand what happened to her sister. With the help of a school psychologist and Tess’s battered journal, Lizzie searches for a way to finally let Tess go.

Why I Chose This:

This sounds like a strong novel about siblings and delusions. I’m curious to see what the fantasy world of Tess would be like. Most psychological novels are interlaced with the supernatural. I’d like to know how this goes.

Prized by Caragh O’Brien
Publication Date: November 8, 2011
Published by: Roaring Brook Press

In the thrilling follow up to Birthmarked, sixteen-year-old midwife Gaia Stone has fled
from the Enclave and now must fight for her baby sister’s survival in the matriarchal society of Sylum.

Striking out into the wasteland with nothing but her baby sister, a handful of supplies, and a rumor to guide her, 16-year-old midwife Gaia Stone survives only to be captured by the people of Sylum, a dystopian society where women rule the men who drastically outnumber them, and a kiss is a crime. In order to see her sister again, Gaia must submit to their strict social code, but how can she deny her sense of justice, her curiosity, and everything in her heart that makes her whole?

Why I Chose This:

I loved Birthmarked! It was the first dystopian that I read and reviewed. Gaia’s world was a difficult one, a harsh one. But that didn’t stop me from liking it. Leon, Gaia’s love interest in Birthmarked was a wonderful character. I look forward to reading the sequel, Prized.

Until next Wednesday!



7 comments:

  1. ooooh, I need to read Birthmarked. I love the cover of Prized. Will be adding Without Tess to my list! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! I still haven't read Birthmarked yet! I so need to read it soon, hopefully before the sequel comes out. And I'm looking forward to Without Tess too! It sounds brilliant, my first time seeing the cover aswell!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't heard of the 1st one. I don't enjoy Dystopian.

    Enjoy your WoW's when you get them.

    Mine is here.

    http://teawithmarce.blogspot.com/2011/04/waiting-on-wednesday-michelle-zink.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Without Tess sounds almost exactly like Where I Want to Be by Adele Griffin

    I like the cover of Prized. I really need to read the first book already!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you might have just turned me on to a new series! Because of my undying love for the game Fallout 3 and because of those Mad Max movies, my attention is automatically caught when "Wastelands" are involved. I definitely need to get my hands on Birthmarked.

    - Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read Birthmarked but it does sound really good. I love the cover and the idea of Without Tessa. It seems like the main character will have a lot of room to grow.

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh - someone just sent me Birthmarked - mayhaps I need to bump it up the list, I thought it sounded good!

    ReplyDelete