Sunday, June 26, 2011

Review: Angel's Fury by Byrony Pearce


Book Description via Goodreads:

ARC, 341 pages
July 4, 2011, Egmont UK

I've started to have dreams while I'm awake. I remember music I've never heard ... I've got all this extra stuff in my head, but I'm forgetting things from my own life. I feel like I'm being taken over.

Cassie Farrier has always suffered from terrifying nightmares. On a trip to Germany she recognises scenes from her dreams and finds evidence of a sixty year-old massacre. Fearing for her sanity, her family sends Cassie to a retreat where she meets others with symptoms like her own and finds out that she has lived a number of past lives.

However, the Doctor at the retreat is not what she seems. Cassie and the boy she comes to love must escape the Doctor’s influence but can they also escape the misery of their shared past?

Source: Egmont UK & Jo (Thank you!)

My Thoughts:

For as long as Cassie could remember, she had dreams about death and violence. Every night, she relived the horrifying scene. She was restless and troubled. But she still had to live her life, study and make the most out of everything. When she went to Germany, she came face-to-face with a world that she visited every night in her dreams. While in Germany, her dreams came with a renewed intensity and ferocity that she did not expect.

Pearce’s writing was hypnotic. The terror, creepy vibe of it washed over me in waves. The fast pace only intensified the eeriness of Angel’s Fury. Soon I was flipping through the pages. The reincarnation theme in this novel was backed up by a really good twist on the usual mythology. When Cassie went to Mount Hermon, she found out about the truths behind her dreams and that she was not alone with her struggle. There were other people at the facility too, some of them even younger than her. Each one of them had their own burden.

But the treatment that was supposed to cure her was doing the opposite. Cassie felt that she was unraveling. She was losing herself, being taken over, and foreign things filled her mind day and night. The Doctor said that she was making good progress. But could she really trust the Doctor after everything she had seen and experienced in Mount Hermon?

Cassie found herself attracted to Seth. He was the friendly, charming type who seemed like a big brother to all the other kids there at Mount Hermon. There was a little surge of electricity between them. It was a good start to a budding romance.

I was emotionally invested in Cassie and even Seth. The characters were well-developed. It was so easy to like them. During their stay in Mount Hermon, I was worried. The Doctor appeared to be keeping secrets from them. Pandra, the longest-staying patient, treated the Doctor’s words like gospel. That kind of dedication was too intense that it was scary. Things were always interesting inside the facility. I always found something that piqued my interest. Sometimes I was amused, sometimes I was overwhelmed.

Angel’s Fury is a breath of fresh air, an original and intriguing take on angels and nephilim. Compelling, haunting and heart-pounding, Angel’s Fury will satisfy readers with its smooth plot, strong heroine, psychological touch and its tale of cycles, hope, and redemption. I highly recommend this to readers of paranormal and angel enthusiasts!

Rating:




6 comments:

  1. Fantastic review!! So glad you loved this. I loved the combination of reincarnation and angels in the mythology, so compelling! And man, some gasp-worthy creepy moments, particularly with Pandra. Looking forward to whatever Bryony writes next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read this yet but I seen a lot of positive reviews! I'm really starting to like angel books now so I can't wait to read this. Glad you enjoyed it :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, never heard of this book before, but it sounds amazing! -adds to wishlist- Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds awesome! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I finished this book last night, will be reviewing it today, but yeah - this is a breath of fresh air among many YAs. Original, grippy and intense. I really hope this is series because I would love to read more of the characters.

    ReplyDelete