Saturday, December 18, 2010

Review: Jane by April Lindner

Book Description via Goodreads:

Forced to drop out of an esteemed East Coast college after the sudden death of her parents, Jane Moore takes a nanny job at Thornfield Park, the estate of Nico Rathburn, an iconic rock star on the brink of a huge comeback. Practical and independent, Jane reluctantly becomes entranced by her magnetic and brooding employer, and finds herself in the midst of a forbidden romance. But there's a mystery at Thornfield, and Jane's much-envied relationship with Nico is tested by a torturous secret from his past.


Part irresistible romance and part darkly engrossing mystery, this contemporary retelling of the beloved classic Jane Eyre promises to enchant a new generation of readers.


Source: Little, Brown and Company - Poppy (Thanks!)

My Thoughts:

When I first started Jane, it reminded me of a movie about a nanny. But it was more than that – more than a story of a nanny. Jane clutched my heart and refused to let go. Jane is such a lovely character. She is not the bubbly, cheerful and perky type. She is so different from the usual YA characters that I encountered. For this reason, she stayed in my mind for days.

Jane has been through a lot. She had a family that held little love for her, had siblings who simply did not care and even hurt her and had a mom who tried to turn her into a carbon copy of her sister, Jenna. It was all very depressing. It saddened me and I wanted to be in the actual story to slap her siblings to reality. Jane is very considerate of her siblings despite what they did. Logic over emotions – that was her guide in life. Despite what she has been through with her family, she came out as someone with little value for her own family. But with the families she has worked for and with the people at Thornfield, she found her worth. She was needed and she was capable of giving what these people required. It gave her a good feeling.

Thornfield was a very majestic place. It was something straight out of a historical novel, gleaming with bright sunlight, surrounded by age-old trees and filled with memories. I loved it. Without a home to go to, after her brother sold it and kept the money for himself, Jane found her home in Thornfield.

The romance in Jane was fantastic. It was something that I usually read about in fanfictions. But it was so good to read about it in an actual published novel. Themes of romance with rock star personas really rocked. It did, seriously. Fame, wealth and reputation. What else could one ask for?  Jane’s love for Nico Rathburn was something gradual, something that eventually grew into a great love that will make her life so exciting. Nico Rathburn was known for his recklessness, the girls, the drugs and the parties. His life was flashy and full of mysteries. Will any of these secrets affect his lovelife with Jane? Jane saw Nico not as an arrogant rock star but as a guy who loves his music and cares for his daughter. Some scenes were intense. This is definitely for the older teens.

The writing was incredible, beautiful and simply fit for the character of Jane. It was filled with observations, musings but like Jane it was somewhat reserved, prim and proper. I devoured this novel despite my hectic school schedule. It was hard to ignore, hard to put down when I could imagine Thornfield in my head.

Jane is an awesome and absorbing read, having all the things I want: a beautiful setting, an artistic and one of a kind character, a magnetic and mysterious guy, a sad past, and a horrible secret. I have not read Jane Eyre yet. But from time to time I stumble upon lines of the novel and even good words from people at school. I admit. I am more of a Jane Austen reader. I recommend Jane to fans of Jane Eyre and of classics, to people who love reading debuts, and to anyone who would just like to see what would happen when a famous rock star and a serious and reserved girl meet in a beautiful estate.

Rating:


I'm a little annoyed with the font right now. Why wont it go back to normal? I have no idea. Anyway, is it better if it's like this? Or do you prefer a smaller font? Let me know!



6 comments:

  1. This has been on my wishlist for as long as I can remember. You're so fortunate to have a copy of it! :) Thanks for the excellent review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really loved this book as well! I loved Jane Eyre when I was younger, and I think this is a great tribute to it and something special all on its own as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! This is on my list as well. I loved Jane Eyre and I can't wait to read Jane. Beautiful review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the kind words! :) I loved Jane so much. I'm thinking of picking up a copy of Jane Eyre soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed this book, though I wish it had been longer and developed the romance a little more. But overall, it was an amazing debut!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This font is very easy to read. I hate when the font is too small or cute to read. Hadn't seen this book before so going to check it out.

    (\___/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

    alterlisa AT yahoo DOT com
    http://lisaslovesbooksofcourse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete