Monday, December 13, 2010

Teaser Tuesdays: Deadly by Julie Chibbaro


Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

-Grab your current read.

-Open to a random page.

-Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page.

-BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
 
-Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!


My Teaser:


A mysterious outbreak of typhoid fever is sweeping turn-of-the-century New York. Every week more people fall ill, and despite thorough investigation, there's no cause in sight. It's not until the city's most unlikely scientist - sixteen-year-old Prudence Galewski - takes a job as an assistant in a laboratory that the evidence begins to fall into place. It seems one person has worked in every home the fever has ravaged: Mary Mallon, an Irish immigrant dubbed "Typhoid Mary" by the press. Strangely, though, Mary hasn't been sick a day in her life. Is the accusation against her an act of discrimination? Or is she the first clue in a new discovery bound to change medical history?

I saw the face of the science fellow who had tormented me. Jonathan. I wanted to holler at him for touching me and thank him for saving me at the same time.

- p. 216, Deadly by Julie Chibbaro (ARC)


My Thoughts:


I'm almost done reading this one! It's quite a fast read. It's a lovely historical fiction novel! I recommend it to fans of historical and...smart, scientific heroines!

What is your teaser?





9 comments:

  1. Sounds like an amazing book!! I'll post my teaser later on! Now a follower!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. amazing teaser^^
    here's mine: http://semicrazed.blogspot.com/2010/12/teaser-tuesday-10.html

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting about this book - I am interested in reading it, so I am curious to read your review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds interesting! I will have to add the book to my wishlist. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’ve had my eye on this one for a while. I love historical fiction too. Thanks for the great teaser!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here is my teaser from Out of Touch by Brandon Tietz (Page vii):

    I used to be the kind of guy that would have no problem reading Playboy or Hustler on an airplane, but that me in "the before," and nearly everything has changed since that time in my life a little over a year ago.

    This is not a coming of age story.

    If that's what you're wanting then I suggest you put this down and read something else: something with a happy ending. Like Penthouse.

    Or: the funny pages.

    This is me giving you your official warning.

    Because where this goes, you might not be ready for.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This one sounds really interesting, and I haven't read a good historical fiction book for awhile. I'm adding it to my TBR list now. Glad you're enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing! I'm planning to read this one during the holiday break. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Definitely liked the sound of this one , added it to my list.

    My Tuesday Teaser

    ReplyDelete